- The standards and expectations for Trump’s behavior are already as low as a rational person can conceive of. Even most of his supporters aren’t really surprised by this kind of stuff, so much of it is already baked into his cake, which is designed to stay “fresh” with only about 40% of the public backing him.
- Trump inoculated himself against any remotely suspect news stories by training his cult that anything which sounds bad about him must be “fake news.” No story, no matter how horrendous, reported by the mainstream media based on anonymous sources is going to move the needle much among Trump supporters.
- Because he beat the evil Hillary Clinton, almost anything he does can be always be compared to what she supposedly would have done, which means that, to his cult, there is legitimately nothing which can be all that horrible.
- This base of support is built largely of cult members who are completely emotionally invested in his success and therefore cannot even be forced to contemplate his failure. The Republican Party would get wiped out in the next election if they ever betrayed the cult’s King.
- The has a media industrial complex (Fox News, Drudge, Breitbart, and Talk Radio) which is economically invested in him not being a failure and in keeping the cult from seriously questioning their King. Meanwhile the mainstream news media, having squandered what was left of their credibility after eight years of cheerleading for Barack Obama, has absolutely no impact on Trump’s base, except perhaps to have their attacks on Trump make his fans like him even more.
Monday afternoon the political and media establishment was once again horrified by a revelation regarding President Trump. This time it was reports indicating that, at best, President Trump is an insecure, bragging, adolescent, dipshit who allegedly gave highly classified information to the Russians in the Oval Office, which apparently could easily harm our fight against ISIS. Since then, there has been a lot of speculation about whether THIS time the Trump house of cards will finally collapse, thus ending a national nightmare for about 55% of the our adult population. The answer to that question is no. This, based on what we currently know, is NOT going to bring down the Trump presidency any time soon. That’s not to say that this story shouldn’t have that kind of impact. There is not another president in my lifetime who could (or would) be under FBI investigation for his campaign colluding Russia, fire the FBI Director, and then give the Russians critical intelligence while in the White House the very next day, and still survive. And that’s even without the element of that president having been elected while promising to “lock up” his opponent for ALMOST allowing classified information to get into enemy hands. There are many reasons why Trump is currently impervious to these types of political earthquakes which would cause normal political careers to crumble to the ground, but which, when it comes to Trump, only shatter a few windows. If we take a closer look at what those are, we can also understand what it would theoretically take for the Republican Party to finally rid themselves and the country of this cancer. Here are the factors which allow Trump’s foundation of power to withstand this kind of crisis: