The White House is now a full week into the Rob Porter domestic abuse scandal. Much of the controversy revolves around when the White House knew about the allegations that Porter abused his two ex-wives, specifically since he was unable to receive a security clearance from the FBI a year into his joining the administration. In today’s Senate Intelligence Committee hearing, FBI Director Christopher Wray seemed to indicate that the White House was potentially made aware of Porter’s past domestic abuse last summer. Pressed by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) on whether the FBI was aware of the allegations and if they informed the administration that the
FBI Director Christopher Wray says the FBI completed Rob Porter's background investigation in July and submitted the results of a “follow-up inquiry" to the White House in November and administratively closed the file in January https://t.co/YAjkuUVpnu— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 13, 2018
“What I can tell you is that the FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March, and then a completed background investigation in late July that is soon thereafter we received requests for follow-up inquiry and we did the follow-up and provided that information in November. And then we administratively closed the file in January. And then earlier this month, we received some additional information and passed that on as well.”As noted by NBC’s Peter Alexander, this counters a White House claim.
Watch the clip above, via CNN. [image via screengrab] — Follow Justin Baragona on Twitter: @justinbaragona
FBI Director Chris Wray says FBI closed the file on Rob Porter in January. That contradicts with WH claim: “[Porter’s] background investigation was ongoing” when allegations became public February 6. — Peter Alexander (@PeterAlexander) February 13, 2018